2. Ditto for Steely Dan. I can't stand that Steely Dan is not a person named Steely Dan, but a band that wastes their alleged musical gifts making elevator music. (Yes, I know what a steely dan is. Larry told me. But it still didn't help.)
3. I desperately wanted freckles as a little girl, so I would scratch the skin around my nose to create what I thought was the illusion of freckles. I still have the scars to prove it.
4.When I was pregnant with Gus I sprouted freckles all over my nose. Victory!
5. The ultrasound reader told us Gus was a girl. We had six pink baby showers, a closet full of girl clothes, and a pillow that said Daddy's Little Princess. We planned to name him Emma Claire.
6. Sometimes Larry and I call him Emma Claire behind his back when he's being a drama queen.
7. My father was born in Italy and moved to the United States when he was nine years old, not speaking a word of English. Now that I have a nine year old of my own I think I have a much greater appreciation for the monumental impact that transition must have had.
8. I have never broken a bone, or had braces, or had surgery, or been admitted to the hospital (outside of giving birth). (Knock on wood.)
9. I failed my driver's test (the written part) the first time, because I was too cocky to study the book.
10. The next time around I memorized the driver's ed book front to back and I remain, to this day, a smug and self-righteous traffic know-it-all.
11. I will never understand people who think it's appropriate to criticize the name someone's chosen for their baby. It's a done deal, folks. YOU LOVE THAT NAME. And that is all.
12. Ditto for people who offer this backhanded compliment: "That photo (you chose for your profile bc you allegedly think it's pretty) isn't very flattering. You're much prettier than that." Uh ... Thank you?
13. I am the opposite of a pack rat, and I'm not sentimental about objects, but I still have the stuffed baby ball I got when I was born and it drives me bananas when people INSIST that he's not the original, as if my parents replaced him like a dead goldfish every time he got lost. There have been numerous stand-ins for times of emergency, but there is only one Ricky Ballzer Court, people. And he lives in my bedroom closet.
14. I consider the facebook friends i interact with regularly real friends, even if we don't hang out in "real life", and I'm always sort of surprised when they act like we've never met.